Thursday, August 27, 2009

Questions for the Blogosphere:

Okay guys.... 3 questions:
.
1) How do I train a RELIABLE recall in a terrier? I know how I'd do it for a border collie, but lets keep in mind that Epic is not programmed to respond to pressure. He simply dances away from any pressure I put on him. Now, I do HAVE a recall... but it's only solid if I call him and then run away so he has to catch me. He does come if I just stand there, but he doesn't always come within reach. I don't really feel like 'Come' is something that's negotiable. I don't want him to come to me and then suddenly dance away into traffic, you know? Practice makes perfect, I guess.
.
2) How do I get him to stop tormenting the border collie? Epic likes to pick on a resting Sam. He puts his chest on the ground and barks and darts around. It gets really fun when I get up and try to stop him, because then he gets to dart around me as well. If it were ME he was doing it to I just wouldn't respond and take all the joy right out of it. However, Sam can only take it so long before he starts lunging for Epic... and Epic thinks that's pretty fun too! It's making me a bit nuts.
I'm sure Sam feels the same.
.
And finally...
.
3) HOW CAN I GET HIM TO STOP CHEWING?? I know, I know... he's teething. His gums hurt. I get it. I provide appropriate toys for him to chew on. I provide cold things for him to chew on. He chooses to chew on the coffee table. I've tried the Bitter Yuck stuff, and frankly, I think I have tasted more of it than he has (totally got it on my fingers the other day, and then my lips, and then my tongue, and now I don't think I'll ever be able to eat again thankyouverymuch). I can scold him, but it doesn't stop anything. I can stop him and personally hand him something better to chew on... but it doesn't stop anything....

1 comment:

  1. Can't help you with the recall, Me and Sully are at odds ourself with those.
    as for 2 It may just have to be that Epic gets the beatdown once or twice...... you could try guilting him. I remember amby did that with kit on a few bad behaviors and it worked....
    3) CHewwing? You know nothing of chewing. I'll trade ya Shepherd Pup for Jack. I mean epic may be a bit more ambitious, but Sully is.... how did Amber Put it THA DESTROYA! if he likes the coffee table, I'd suggest finding a similar feeling appropriate object..... supervized of course so there ain't no Puppy Poopin too much splinter.
    Or Hot Pepper Powder... it works with some dogs..... though some dogs love it.

    ReplyDelete