Friday, October 16, 2009

7 Groups

There are some awesome blogs around that have done an interesting post today. My turn! The game is to look at the CKC/AKC dog breed groups and pick one breed from each group that you would like to own. No choosing your current breed!.
.
Group 1: Sporting
.
Man, I'm stumped right off the bat! There aren't any breeds in the sporting group that really stand out to me. I think my choice would be a Flat-Coated Retriever. I haven't seen many, but I do know of a few that are both great family dogs AND fantastic workers.
.
Group 2: Hounds
.
Greyhound. Hands down. I'm not sure what exactly I'd DO with a Greyhound, but I've always wanted one. I think part of the draw is that there are a lot of fantastic Greyhounds in rescue that just need a home to retire to.
.
Group 3: Working
.
Great Dane. Again, this is hands down. There's something about the breed that I just like, and yet I don't know why. They aren't well suited to most dog sports, they don't have the loveliest attitude, and they take up the entire bed... but I think there's something there. I can easily see this as a companion dog in my future.
.
Group 4: Terrier
.
This is my group! This is my group! Seeing as I have a Jack... I'd go with the American Staffordshire Terrier (Not the Bull Terrier, and NOT while I still had Epic). I don't like the boxy look, but I've met plenty of lovely Staffies and think they would be fun working dogs. Properly kept and socialized, they can be great all-around athletes.
.
Group 5: Toy
.
Forgive me, I'm choosing the Italian Greyhound. I know, I know... my sister has a fantastic little Papillon cross, but they're not for me. I've seen some wonderful little Italian's in flyball, but I think they need a patience and understanding that I do not have. It would be quite the learning experience.
.
Group 6: Non-sporting
.
I had a lovely Dalmation once, and would happily take another. Is it cheating that I've already had the breed? If so, then let's pretend that I said Bulldog. Again... not a dog sport prospect. I'd have a better chance with a Dalmation on that front.
.
Group 7: Herding
.
Again, forgive me... I DO NOT want a Border Collie. I have met, lived with, and loved many awesome Border Collies but I can't handle the obsessive "Go!Go!Go!". Says the Jack owner. Still... I like a dog that's willing to sleep as late as me. This being said, I'd go with the Belgian Malinois. Now THAT'S a candidate for a good working/dog sport friend.

1 comment: