Monday, October 5, 2009

Hard Days

On Saturday, October 3rd, we lost one of the great ones.
.
I know that these days are extremely hard for all of Sam's family and friends, but i'd like to take a moment to speak to his life.
.
.
I got to know Sam a few years ago, as I became close friends with Sam's mom... one of my teammates. Sam was his mom's first dog, and one of the original members of our flyball team. He was also his mom's heart-dog.
.
.
Sam spent the last 11 years shaping his mom into the person I know and love. For myself, and many of my teammates, Sam's mom is our go-to person whenever we have a 'dog' question. Whether it's health or behaviour related, she knows it all. She and Sam truely understood each other. Sam eventally retired from flyball due to spondylosis and hip dysplasia. With care and managment, Sam was not slowed down by his health problems, and continued to enjoy his offleash walks, and fetch sessions with Mom.
.

.

Although I always had a soft-spot for Sam, he became more than just a friend's dog three months ago when Epic and I moved in as roommates. From then on, Sam was a part of my daily life. Attacking me with kisses, cuddling with me on the couch, and simply following my every footstep, Sam knew how to make long writing days less lonely. Although too dignified to play with the other dogs Sam did indulge Epic in a little Bark and Chase, and was the only one ever willing to cuddle with my little boy.

.

About 10 days ago, after suffering a couple weak periods, Sam was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma... a rapidly growing, invasive form of cancer. Sam had masses on his heart. He was brought home to be with his family, and had 10 FANTASTIC days. Bright, alert, and cheery, Sam enjoyed his brothers, his toys, good food, and good company... acting like a young and healthy boy. On Saturday, after a big breakfast and a kiss attack, Sam collapsed. His mom and I were both with him at this time, and when he was helped across The Bridge.

.

It was my pleasure to know Sam, to live with him, to love him, and to be there throughout his diagnosis, those wonderful days after, and when he completed his journey.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice tribute to your pal Sam. How great that he had such a loving home right up to the end. All doggies should be so lucky.

    Hoover BPD

    ReplyDelete